Whether you want to eat well, lose weight, or maintain your weight, it’s about finding what works for you – Including which food helps or hinder your goals. Different foods give you different amount of energy and calories as they go through different metabolic pathways in your body. Every food has a different effect on your hunger, hormones, and number of calories you burn.
If you are looking for the foods for weight loss, you have landed on the right page. Here, we are listing some of the best food diets for weight loss that can be a great help in your weight loss journey.
- Salmon: Salmon is a great source of lean protein and packed with a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which your body can’t produce. It can help you to maintain your muscle mass while trying to weight loss. Salmon is very healthy and satisfying and keeping you full for many hours with relatively few calories.
- Lean beef and chicken breast: Eating chicken breast, without breading or skin, help you to eat fewer calories and burn extra calories for weight loss. Grilled, skinless chicken is an effective weight loss meal plan due to its low calories and high protein content. Chicken breast is quite low in calories, but it is packed with lean protein which is extremely beneficial when you are trying to shed a few pounds. Even some studies have shown that increasing your protein intake to 25% of daily calories can cut cravings by 60%, which can reduce your desire for late-night snacking by half and can cause weight loss of almost one pound.
- Whole eggs: Eating eggs in breakfast can help you a lot in your weight loss journey. One recent study has shown that eating eggs will boost metabolic activity and increase the feeling of fullness. To boost weight loss, avoid preparing eggs by adding too much oil and butter.
If a person has a risk of heart disease then that person should consume white part only and should monitor their cholesterol intake carefully.
- Yogurt: Yogurt without added sugar is generally considered to be very healthy. Some studies have shown that eating yogurt is associated with lowering of body weight, lowering body mass, body fat, and smaller waist circumference. You can eat unsweetened Greek yogurt with berries and ground flaxseeds for an easy breakfast or blend it in a green smoothie for extra protein.
- Spinach: Spinach is low in calories and high in fiber and water content, meaning you can eat a lot of it without making any changes in your total calories of the day. There is also some research to suggest that thylakoids, the internal membrane system in the leafy vegetables helps to facilitate the release of satiety hormones in the body.
- Apple cider vinegar: Drinking apple cider vinegar will increase the fullness which will decrease the calories intake. According to one study, adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to your diet can help you to weight loss and it can also reduce your body fat percentage, and make you lose belly fat.
- Whole grains: Whole grains have many great effects that can help you to weight loss. Whole grains keep you full and loaded with the fiber. Whole grains tend to have more fiber and fiber decrease the rate at which your body digests food which will help you to feel satiated for a long time. Some study has also shown that people who eat more amounts of whole grain tend to have less body weight over time compared to the people who don’t eat whole grain. Good source of whole green includes oatmeal, brown rice, barley, quinoa, and rye.
- Fruits: Certain fruits help with weight loss goal because they contain a healthy level of soluble and viscous fiber, like pectin, psyllium, glucomannan and guar gum. Many studies show that increasing your intakes of fiber results in weight loss. Fiber enhances digestion, curbs the absorption of sugar in blood level, and keeps you satiated for longer. You will feel fuller for longer and will tend to eat less.
- Grapefruit: One fruit that needs to be highlighted is grapefruit. Many studies have shown that it has a direct impact on weight loss. In a 12-week study, 91 obese individuals eating half a fresh grapefruit before meals led to weight loss of 3.5 pounds, which means eating grapefruit before your meals will make you full which will result in overall low calories intake.
- Chili Pepper: Eating chili pepper is quite effective in weight loss procedure. Chili pepper contains a substance that has been shown to reduce appetite and increase fat burning according to some studies.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds contain 12 gram of carbohydrates per ounce but 11 of these grams are fiber which makes chia seeds a low-carb friendly food and one of the best source of fiber in the world. Because chia seeds are very high in fiber, they will fill you up and reduces appetite. Because of this reason, they are one of the best foods for weight loss.
- Cabbage: Cabbage is low-calorie and loaded with nutrients like calcium, potassium, and vitamin A and can be a great addition to the weight loss plan.
- Nuts: Nuts are an excellent snack, containing a balanced amount of protein, fiber, and healthy fats. Many studies have shown that eating nuts can improve metabolic health and even promote weight loss. Different type of nuts that you can consider in the weight loss:
- Almonds: Almonds are considered as one of nature’s super foods for their rich content of protein and heart-healthy fats. They are also a good source of the amino acid called L-arginine that helps you burn fat. Eating 3-5 almonds every day has been linked with greater weight loss and higher fat metabolism.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are rich in heart-healthy unsaturated fats that make them the best for weight loss. Having a handful of walnuts helps to stimulate fat loss and promote healthy body weight.
- Brazil nuts: Brazil nuts are loaded with fiber and protein, both of which are essential for losing weight. They are also a good source of selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, and thiamine, which helps in the weight loss process. Brazil nuts also contain the high level of L-arginine that helps in reducing belly fat.
- Cashew nuts: Cashew nuts are full of magnesium that is necessary for regulating the metabolism of fat and carbohydrates, which may further helps you in the weight loss. Nuts are high in calorie, but eating the right amount of nuts can help you in weight loss.
- Pistachios: Pistachios or Pista have a normal amount of protein. This protein keeps you full for a long time and helps you to avoid junk foods. It also contains mono-saturated fats that boost weight loss.
- Avocados: Avocados is one of the best foods when you want to lose the weight as the monounsaturated fat in the avocado is key macronutrient and can help in weight loss. Foods that are high in fiber and protein can make you feel full for a long time that is because fat and fiber slow down the release of food from your stomach. In this way, you will end up going longer between meals and potentially even eating lower calories overall. Avocados are rich in both fat and fiber meaning they should have strong effect on feeling of fullness.
- Boiled Potatoes: A boiled potato contains an incredibly diverse range of nutrients. Boiled potatoes are low in fat and calories than their high fiber content makes you full for a long time. If you allow potatoes to cool for a while after boiling, they will form a high amount of resistant; a fiber likes substance that has been shown various health benefits, including weight loss. Boiled Potatoes are good at reducing your appetite and will potentially suppress the food intake later in your day.
- Soups: Soups can be an important part of a weight loss diet. Their high water content makes them very filling, which will reduce your overall calories intake. Many studies have shown that eating the exact same food turned into soup rather than as solid food, make people feel more satisfied and help them eating significantly fewer calories.
- Beans and Legumes: Beans and Legumes can be a very good addition to your weight-loss diet. They are both high in fiber, giving you the feeling of fulfillment which will result in lower calories intake.
Here we are listing some of the beans and legumes that you can eat for weight loss:
- Chickpeas: Chickpeas are a rich source of fiber and protein. Many studies have shown that beans and legumes like chickpeas can reduce the risk factor of heart disease and can even help you with the weight loss process. Chickpeas are basically a high source of protein, fiber and folate, and they are also low in calories.
- Lentils: Lentils is an important source of vegetarian protein and can be a great addition to soups and stews. Lentils can help reduce blood sugar. Lentils can also prevent constipation and other digestion problems and can help you to maintain optimal digestive health. Lentils are also a rich source of selenium that boosts your immunity system.
- Peas: Peas are a rich source of fiber and protein. Peas are low fat and calorie food that can help you in weight loss. Peas are also a rich source of many minerals such as iron, calcium, zinc, copper, manganese etc which boosts the immune system of your body. The anti-oxidants in peas such as flavonoids, catechin, epicatechin, carotenoid, alpha-carotene etc are very helpful in preventing the aging process and improve the glow of your skin.
- Kidney beans: Kidney beans contain a high amount of fiber. Many studies have shown how fiber keeps you full and can help you in weight loss. Kidney beans are also a good source of protein which is more filling than carbs and can help in weight loss too. Kidney beans contain rich amount of calcium and magnesium that can help you in the weight loss process.
- Black beans: Black beans are a rich source of fiber, protein, and folate. Black beans are quite effective in reducing the blood sugar level after a meal compared to the other high-carb food such as rice and bread.
- Soybeans: It is highly useful in controlling hyperglycemia and losing weight. If you include soy in your diet, it will not only control the obesity but also help balance the sugar level in the body. It is the perfect food choice for diabetic patients. Soy is useful to maintain stronger bones and can help lower arthritis in some cases. Soy-based skin products can help you to even out skin tone and can even reduce the pigmentation that occurs due to hormonal changes and sun exposure. It also helps you to regenerate skin cells.
- Pinto Beans: Pinto beans are considered highly They are full of various vitamins, fiber, iron, mineral, and protein. Because of that, they have many health, skin, and hair benefits associated with pinto beans. Pinto beans can also help you to handle the dry skin problem. Lack of vitamin B in the body can create many skin problems like redness, irritation, and pigmentation. Pinto beans are rich in vitamin B so it can help you to deal with such kind of problems.
- Navy Beans: Navy beans are a rich source of fiber, B vitamins, and minerals. Navy beans are low in calories and high in fiber that is why that can be a great addition to weight loss. They contain a high value of proteins and resistant starch that can help control appetite and results in overall fewer calories intake. Navy beans also are a rich source of copper that acts as an anti-oxidant and boosts skin health.
- Peanuts: Peanuts are actually a legume that contains a lot of healthy monounsaturated Peanuts are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants thus are the rich source of energy. Peanuts are also a great source of amino acids that are very helpful in the overall development of the body. Peanuts are rich source of B complex, vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, thiamin, vitamin B6, vitamin B9, pantothenic acid etc
Nimarta, a post graduate in life sciences, working as a content writer.