Artificial intelligence (AI) is an area of computer science which focusses on the creation of intelligent machines; computer, a computer-controlled robot or software alike human intelligence that works and behaves like humans. AI is actually the technique for developing machines with brains. AI makes use of parameters like how human brain thinks, how the humans learn, decide, behave and work while trying to solve a particular problem, and then the outcomes of this study are used as a basis of developing AI software and systems. AI technology examples are speech recognition, Natural Language Generation, biometrics, problem-solving, learning, and planning etc.
Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence
While developing computer systems and analyzing the power of computers,Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC humans went curious to know if machines can really think and behave just as the way humans do. This curiosity in combination with the intelligence of the human mind led to the development of Artificial intelligence with the intention of creating similar human-like intelligence in machines.
John McCarthy, father of Artificial Intelligence says Artificial Intelligence is “The science and engineering of making intelligent machines, especially intelligent computer programs”.
Goals of Artificial intelligence are:
- To Create Expert Systems − the systems exhibiting intelligent behavior, learning, demonstrating, explaining, and advising its users.
- To Implement Human Intelligence in Machines –by creating systems that understand, think, learn, and behave like humans.
Artificial intelligence (AI) recent updates and role in the present world
Adobe decides to add AI-powered ‘zoom and enhance’ feature to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC
Adobe has recently announced that it will be adding a new - zoom and enhance feature for its photo-editing apps called Enhance Details that will make use of the machine learning to artificially improve the resolution as well as the picture quality of zoomed-in images. This has shown how AI can be helpful in filling in details in the digital pictures.
This new tool making use of Artificial intelligence AI will be available in Adobe Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic CC, along with Lightroom CC for Mac as well as Windows. Adobe claims Artificial intelligence (AI) powered zoom and enhance feature will be able to increase the resolution of certain images by up to 30 percent. With this new zoom and Enhance details feature, Adobe is adding AI to the mix. Adobe is not only the company to use Artificial Intelligence in such a way but many there are many other services that offer similar machine learning upscaling tools. It is quite interesting that Adobe is building this AI-powered service into its hugely popular products.
Role of Artificial Intelligence (AI) In Nursing Care – Applying AI to Eldercare
The health ministry of Japan is looking forward to compiling nursing care plans based on Artificial intelligence, AI analysis. They have considered the use of artificial intelligence for drawing care plans for nursing care insurance recipients. The ministry of Japan will launch a national survey earlier by August on how Artificial intelligence (AI) is being developed along with a survey on examples of the use of Artificial Intelligence for nursing care. Their goal is to improve the quality of health care for dementia patients along with helping new caregivers to deliver effective care. Tokyo’s Artificial Intelligence (AI) Company Exawizards is making use of effective learning for analyzing unstructured nursing care data such as audio and video recordings. It is combining artificial intelligence technology with a unique approach to caregiving.
This step is being put forward as Japan is facing rapid aged population because of low birthrate, as more than one-fifth of Japanese are now 70 or older as per the government data. Therefore, there is a shortage of enough people to care for the patients. As per the studies Japan would be facing shortfall of 340,000 nursing care workers by 2025.
Many Japanese companies are making use of Artificial Intelligence technology, for example,
- Panasonic is into selling robotic beds which are convertible into wheelchairs.
- Fujitsu has developed a remote monitoring system which can track temperature and humidity along with movement and sound in the homes of elderly people living alone.
- Reif, a startup company, has developed robots that can provide help to stroke victims with their gait and balance.
Trump signs executive order to encourage and prioritize artificial intelligence
President Donald Trump has signed an executive order which is directing the federal agencies to prioritize their research and development in artificial intelligence. The plan has been called- American AI Initiative and spurs big investment pledges from China and other countries for federal funding towards AI research. It has been intended to advance and apply AI technology ranging from warfighting to health care. Trump has asked federal agencies to comprise government data and computing resources more available to artificial intelligence experts along with maintaining security and confidentiality
The Trump administration has split the goals of the AI Initiative into five key areas:
- Research and development. Federal agencies are asked to “prioritize AI investments” in their R&D budgets, they will have to develop reports on how the money has been spent to create an overview of government investment in artificial intelligence.
- Freeing resources. All types of Federal data, algorithms, along with processing power will be made available to artificial intelligence (AI) researchers, thereby, providing a boost in the field of transportation and health care.
- Ethical standards. Government bodies are ordered to create standards to guide the development of “reliable, robust, secure, trustworthy, portable, and interoperable Artificial intelligence (AI) systems.
- Automation. The federal agencies will be asked to prepare workers for changes to the job market that will be caused by this new technology
- International outreach. The American administration wishes to work with other countries on Artificial Intelligence (AI) development, but that must retain American “values and interests.”
China-Baidu made a smart cat shelter that makes use of Artificial intelligence (AI) to tell cats and dogs apart
This has been a smart move by China’s top search engine Baidu for stray cats trying to survive the winter. They have made a smart cat shelter in Beijing which uses Artificial Intelligence to verify when a cat is approaching and open its door. The cat shelter is enabled with heating along with offering food and water to the cats. It has cameras on the door that can scan the cat’s face for diseases and see if the sick or non-neutered cat and the system will ping a nearby volunteer group to provide help to the cat. Once the cat enters the shelter, the door of the shelter will shut behind it to prevent any other critters or stray dogs from entering the shelter.
Indian Origin Team puts forward new Model for Safer Self-Driving Cars
Applying Artificial intelligence to their work, a team of Indian American researchers has developed a novel model using human inputs to uncover Artificial Intelligence (AI) "blind spots" in the autonomous cars, this is a step so that the vehicles can avoid dangerous errors in the real world. The model has been developed by MIT and Microsoft researchers which identify situations in which autonomous systems have "learned" from training examples which are not matched to what's actually happening in the real world.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) has been taking the automotive industry by storm by the development of autonomous vehicles or cars.
Artificial Intelligence all set to Virtualize Radiology Brains
This is a great step involving Artificial intelligence (AI) and automation which will actually not replace radiologists but will act as an assistant to the radiologists in the field of imaging detection, diagnosis, and prognosis. Involving AI in the radiology is creating interest as well as enthusiasm for AI among the radiology community as there is discussion considering AI as a threat. Artificial intelligence is accelerating at an exponential rate, as it is moving from experimental stages to live industry implementations and is all set to mark its presence across all industries.
Applications of Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Artificial intelligence is being widely studied and implemented in various fields and has been dominant in various fields such as −
- Gaming – Artificial intelligence has been used in games like chess, poker etc.,
- Natural Language Processing – AI makes it possible to interact with the computer that understands the natural language spoken by humans.
- Expert Systems – uses applications which integrate machine, software, and special information to impart reasoning and advising to the users.
- Vision Systems − these systems make use of AI to understand, interpret, and comprehend visual input on the computer. For example, a spying airplane, clinical systems to diagnose patients, computer software used by police to identify criminals.
- Speech Recognition – AI helps in hearing and comprehending the language of sentences and their meanings while a human talks to it. AI helps in speech recognition as it can handle different accents, slang words, noise in the background, change in human’s noise due to cold, etc.
- Handwriting Recognition – AI enabled handwriting recognition software helps to read the text written on paper by a pen or on screen by recognizing the shapes of the letters and converting them into editable text.
- Intelligent Robots − Robots are able to perform the tasks given by human making use of their efficient processors, multiple sensors and huge memory, to exhibit intelligence. Moreover, they can learn from their mistakes and are able to adapt to the new environment.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) solutions being used in the Present day that we are using today
Siri: it is one of the most popular personal assistant by Apple in the iPhone and iPad. The friendly female voice-activated personal assistant can interact with the user on a daily routine. It can assist you to find information, send messages, get directions, make voice calls, open applications and add the events to the calendar. It makes use of machine-learning technology and is one of the most iconic examples of machine learning abilities of gadgets.
Tesla: it is involving artificial intelligence technology for self-driven cars and is one of the best automobiles available until now with features like self-driving, predictive capabilities, and absolute technological innovation.
Cogito: The Company makes use of artificial intelligence powered by behavioral science to enhance customer collaboration for phone professionals. It is a software based on cognitive capabilities on artificial intelligence that mimic the thinking speed of human an is a cognitive technology that is applied to voice calls daily. The Artificial intelligence solution analyzes and understands the human voice and provides guidance to enhance behavior.
Netflix: Netflix uses machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms to allow users to use Netflix - popular content-on-demand service. It uses predictive technology to offer recommendations on the basis of consumers’ reaction, interests, choices, and behavior. Netflix analyzes hundreds of records using Artificial Intelligence algorithms to suggest movies, TV shows and documentaries similar to those you have seen and rated positively.
Amazon: Amazon’s artificial intelligence and their algorithms have become more and more sophisticated, accurate and useful in increasing their sales too massive extent. Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology helps you find out your preferences and shopping behaviors with the most incredible precision. However, though this project is still in a work in progress it clearly defines the potential of artificial intelligence.
Pandora: Pandora is one of the most popular and highly demanded technology solutions based on artificial intelligence. Also, called the DNA of music, here, the team of expert musicians analyzes the song individually. The music system is too good at recommending the track record for recommending songs.
Nest (Google): it had been one of the most famous and successful artificial intelligence startups that were acquired by Google in 2014 for $3.2 billion. The Nest Learning Thermostat makes use of behavioral algorithms of artificial intelligence to save energy based on your behavior and schedule. It involves an intelligent machine learning process that learns the temperature you like and programs itself accordingly in about a week. It automatically turns off to save energy when nobody is at home, therefore it is a combination of both – artificial intelligence, as well as Bluetooth low-energy as some of its components, also use BLE services and solutions.
Flying Drones: drones use state of the art technology that uses artificial intelligence. They involve a powerful machine learning system which translates the environment into a 3D model through sensors and video cameras. The sensors and cameras can notice the position of the drones in the room by attaching themselves to the ceiling. Artificial intelligence using the trajectory generation algorithm guides the drone on their movement. They are also Wi-Fi enabled that enables movement of drones and their use for specific purposes like product delivery, video-making, or news reporting.
Echo: Echo is an artificially intelligent Bluetooth speaker that was launched by Amazon, which is getting smarter and adding new features. It is a device that makes use of conversational artificial intelligence to help you search the web for information, schedule appointments, control lights, switches, thermostats, answers questions, shop, reads audiobooks, reports traffic and weather, gives info on local businesses, provides sports scores and schedules, and much more using the Alexa Voice Service.
Artificial intelligence is being used as an ultimate effort to make computer programs that can solve problems and achieve goals in the world, as well as humans.